Why should my business blog?
Looking at your website and thinking it could do with a blog but don’t know what it could do for you? Read on to find our top 5 reasons why adding a blog to your website is a good idea.
Let us begin at the very beginning. The wise and wonderful Julie Andrews had no better rationale than because it’s a very good place to start. So do we! The first question we ask when a client asks us to create a blog for them on their website is ‘why?’. We’re not being deliberately difficult, but if you want to blog because you think you should, rather than because you actively want to use it to promote knowledge sharing and business growth, then you’ll end up with a corner of your website which is dusty, cobwebbed and out of date. That looks even worse than doing nothing at all.
Oh, and if the answer is ‘I don’t want to, I want you to manage it for me,’ we’ll happily put together a blog schedule and link it in with your key messages before writing content for you to approve. It’s key that once you start a blog you maintain it – choose how frequently you want to blog and then stick to it! It takes time to plan, schedule and create interesting and valuable content, so be prepared for the commitment.
So, if you’re considering adding a blog to your website and you’re not convinced you need one, here are our top 5 reasons why blogs are worthwhile:
- Businesses that blog have better online visibility. It’s another marketing channel which, when used in the marketing mix, can help reach a different part of your audience, and drive traffic to your website. It’s a great way to showcase what you can do, how you think and, of course, help with your SEO. Websites that are developed and updated regularly rank higher in search engines and having a blog can really help with that. Of course, you also need to create compelling, on brand content, but let’s take it one step at a time. Oh – and it will help with social media too. Sounding good?
- It helps to establish credibility and authority. The best business blogs we follow answer questions that their audience are interested in. They essentially give something for nothing – and in return, we share their content and thus promote their brand, even if we’re not buying. They respond to questions and engage with their community, showing they are listening.
- It’ll work for you whilst you sleep. Honest. The content you write today and post tomorrow will live on in the ether, driving long term results. You’ve just got to keep on blogging, keep using those keywords to show that you’re still there and still listening to your audience and answering their questions.
- Blogging can enhance your brand. It’s all about creating opportunities for conversation. It also humanises your brand, helping people to relate to individuals and become familiar with your brand, rather than just being aware of it.
- It’s a great test bed to float ideas with your target audience. You can conduct polls, obtain feedback and sense check your ideas without committing budget and time to development.
Like what you read? Want to have a natter over a cuppa about starting a blog for your business? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll put the kettle on!