How do you know when you’ve found the right marketing agency for you and your business? Finding a great match in a crowded marketplace can seem like trying to find the proverbial needle in the haystack. All the terminology can be overwhelming, which won’t help you pick the right partner to help your business grow.
Finding the right marketing agency will make your marketing more effective and profitable. Read on to find out what we’d suggest looking out for when you’re on the hunt for a new marketing agency.
- Invest time in finding the right marketing agency to bring long-term rewards.
- Look for agencies that match your business. If you’re in B2B, you need an agency with plenty of B2B marketing experience, preferably within your sector. If you’re anticipating working on a long-term project, or hope to use them as an outsourced marketing department, check they are the right cultural fit.
- Brief them fully about your business, what challenges you’re facing and what your business goals are.
- Ask about what they can provide in-house and whether they will outsource any elements of your work. If so, why? Check how will they ensure confidentiality and ensure you receive a seamless, high-quality service.
- Expect lots of detailed questions about your business and what your aspirations are. Without understanding your business and your short, medium and long-term goals, how will they be able to market you effectively?
- Find out how they will communicate with you and gain an understanding of their expectations of you as a client.
- Understand how they will measure success and report back to you. Monitoring performance is a key part of the marketing function and understanding how, and how often, this will be relayed back to you is important.
- Ask friends and contacts for recommendations, but take them with a pinch of salt, because the first rule of thumb on the don’t list then comes into play.
- Pick the first agency you’ve come across. Rush into it.
- Finding the right agency is like finding a new member of your team. You might need to interview a few agencies to draw up a shortlist.
- Be blinded by science. If you don’t understand it, don’t sign up to it. They should clearly articulate and explain their ideas and be able to back these up with facts and figures.
Hiring a professional marketing agency can bring many benefits to your business. Asking these questions when talking to your potential agency partners will make choosing the right marketing agency so much easier.
We love helping our clients succeed. If you’ve got a question about your marketing or you’d like to have a chat about how we can help you, get in touch today on 01452 379 980 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more about how we approach marketing for different sectors.
Not sure it’s the right time to get in touch? Find out about the right time to hire a marketing agency.
When to hire a marketing agency
Knowing when to hire a marketing agency can be difficult. Do you call them in before you start to think about marketing, or once you’ve got a firm idea of what you want?
There’s no ‘one answer fits all’, it completely depends on each client. Some have called us in when they’ve realised they’ve taken on more than they can handle, others when they’re thinking about creating their marketing strategy for a new sector. Still other clients knew that they needed a marketing agency but couldn’t see the wood for the trees as they were so busy in the everyday business of running their business. For small businesses it can make more sense to outsource marketing efforts to an agency to free up time to focus in other areas; larger businesses may need a hand with specific projects and ask us to work with their marketing department.
What about if you’ve come up with a great idea for a campaign but don’t know where to start? Agencies have access to digital marketing managers, content producers, copywriters, photographers, graphic designers, PPC specialists, SEO taggers and a whole host of other skills which may come into play. Whilst it may be beyond your budget to hire all of them, calling in an agency can give you access to all that experience and knowledge.
A good agency should work with you to define the brief and skills required, whatever you’re looking at. If they don’t question you, then start to question them. Marketing cuts across many parts of running a business and the agency you choose should have a good understanding of what you do and why. You should also define what level of involvement you want in what they’re doing for you – some of our clients want to check every word, others take a very hands-off approach – either way works, but we need to know so we can resource and plan for it.
It’s important that, no matter which agency you end up working with, you trust and like them. The agency you choose will be working closely with you to deliver results, so getting along is vital. Getting the right partnership can get you to where you want and need to be.
We’re ready. Whenever you decide to pick up the phone and give us a call, we’re on 01452 379 980 or on email at email@example.com